DIY Makeup Brush Cleaner

3:00 PM

Published on 1/24/2013

Just like most girls, I can't step outside until I've put my makeup on. I don't pile on three inches of foundation, but I still use it. I bought a combination foundation/concealer brush a while ago and it made things a lot easier. I didn't have to get my fingers dirty by smearing foundation all over my face. But as time passed, I got smarter. I bought BB cream and used that instead of foundation since it's not as heavy as foundation. Instead of the foundation brush, I used the palms of my hands to pat the product onto my face. So the poor little brush just sat at the bottom of my makeup box for months. I looked at it a few days ago and thought, Ugh. It's all nasty. And then I came across this pin on Pinterest.

Pinned Image
(Source: Beauty Anywhere)

The caption of the pin reads "...love this...so much cheaper than brush cleaner & probably doesn't leave any film on the brush like some of the store bought cleaners do...tutorial on how & why to properly clean your makeup brushes. (a tablespoon of white vinegar in a cup of hot water, and a 20 minute soak, followed by a hot, then cold rinse and pat dry will do it. Disinfects, dissolves grease/makeup, leaves no film, and inexpensive.)" So I thought I would try the idea in the caption to clean my dirty foundation brush.
Supplies:
  • hot water
  • one tbsp. white vinegar
  • cup you don't care for (it will get dirty)
  • dirty makeup brushes

I poured hot water into a styrofoam cup and added the tablespoon of vinegar. Then, I put the makeup brushes in the water and swirled them around a little. You can see the nasty makeup at the bottom. So yucky.


I let them sit there and soak for a while. Since I needed to stay productive, I used the time to apply makeup, get dressed, check my email, and print PowerPoint slides. Productivity ftw :) I let them soak for way more than 20 minutes, buuuuut it's okay :) I rinsed them under hot water, then cold water, and patted them dry on a paper towel. And..


..umm.. Hold up, the caption says (and I quote), "Disinfects, dissolves grease/makeup, leaves no film". LEAVES NO FILM. Umm.. There's makeup on the brush AND the paper towel. Okay. Well.. that didn't work out :I So then I came across this pin.

Makeup Brush Cleaner
(Source: The Daily Quirk)

It was basically the same thing, the only difference was that she added dish soap. Hmm.. So naturally, I tried it. I want clean makeup brushes!! I did the same thing. Except I used a bowl and I added a big squirt of dish soap.


It looks pretty convincing so far.


But after I rinse both brushes and pat them dry..


Sigh. I guess I have to go out and buy a fancy brush cleaner at Ulta or something. I clicked on the first pin I came across and it took me to this site. The suds in the picture are actually because she's using makeup brush shampoo. Come on.. false advertising, pinners. False advertising :(

So I have yet to find a cheap alternative to clean my makeup brushes. They're still coated with foundation and they would like to be clean. Are there any good alternatives that you use? Or should I really just go out and spend a pretty penny on a real cleaner? Share your thoughts with me! :) 'Cause seriously, did you see the pictures? They're pretty dirty.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

recent posts